The Blue Collar Historian

I'm 34, have a history degree and drive a chip truck for a living... Thank you reality!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

When thinking of crossing the Tiber, what are the right questions to ask?

While talking to a good friend of mine (i.e., Tony from my "And Then There Was One" entry), we got to discussing the Roman Catholic Church (or, according to me, THE CHURCH). Tony recently had a discussion with an Anglican friend of his about why he (the friend, not Tony) was Anglican and not Catholic or Orthodox. This got us on the topic about what motivates someone towards or away from RC and Orthodoxy.

Tony's friend, aka the Anglican, stated that he saw a shift in doctrinal development in the Latin or RC church around the 5th century. A shift that he thinks turned the RCC away from traditional catholicism (small "c") and towards the Papal super-religion that we encounter today. He contends that, while Anglicanism is not a restorative movement within the Church (i.e., looks, beliefs, etc. - it is in all actual ways like the early church), he still sets it apart and has joined the Communion. This is because he sees it as adhering in all the important ways to the beliefs and practices of the early Church, or at least the first five centuries of the Church.

Well, that was a lot to sort through... I hope I have this right, Tony. Please feel free to correct me.

Anyway, this got me thinking... Tony's Anglican friend's issues with the RCC are not new ones. I once held those same views myself. What turned me away from my journey towards Anglicanism towards Catholicism and not Orthodoxy was one simple question: If Jesus established a Church, and this Church still exists today, where is it? After careful historical and theological study, I came the realization that the Roman Catholic Church, not Anglicanism, or Orthodoxy, was the Church that Christ established 2,000 years ago.

Now, I will not bore you with the fine points of my journey, that is for you to discover for yourself on your own, but what I will tell you is that it is well worth it. So, get your history books out, check out the volumes of "Early Church Fathers" from your local library and get ready for the ride of your life.

Peace Out,

BCH

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, there i said something love you sis

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D-Man,
This is a pretty fair representation of our conversation. Of course, your "one simple question" is a good one, but much work for me remains to be done in answering that question. The issues are more complex and multi-faceted than they are sometimes made out to be in the many "Coming home to Rome" books on the market. I look forward to our continued discussions of these issues. I appreciate your insights and hopefully someday I will be able to once and for all abandon my ecclesiological confusion and be home (wherever that might be).

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet, why not the Orthodox way, my friend? Why not take apostolic succession without the gratuitous baggage of Mariology and papal infallibility?

Perhaps you went too far?

:-)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

What extra baggage? The Orthodox will come around one day, promise. As for Protestantism...well, ever seen the movie Titanic?

Peace out!

BCH

3:52 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

heard you went roman...

You and your hell bound, satan worshipping romish minions can choke on the river styx. If I could type a word picture of me flipping you off...I would.

In Love,
D-funk (Tony's heterosexual life partner, aka temporary seminary roommate)

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please disregard my untutored and barbarous roommate's outburst. I shall have him flogged upon my return home.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

And by flogged he means he will run in to the house with tears coming down his face and embrace me with hugs.

Flogged, what does that even mean??? (pardon the inside joke)

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home