Getting turned down for a factory job...
OK, I'm a smart guy. I may not have many technical skills, but I am smart guy...
Well, in an attempt to decrease the hours I work in a week (currently around 55 to 60, I am blue collar after all) I applied to be a Process Technician at a local factory. This job requires one to troubleshoot potential problems that may interfere with achieving the greatest output for whatever product you are currently running. From what I gained from the interview, the job seemed like 80% sitting in front of a computer and 20% actual work. I thought I was a definite shoe-in. I mean, I am a smart guy and could do this job in my sleep, right? That is until I received a rejection letter 2 DAYS after my interview! WHAT THE F___! Come on!
What a blow to the ol' self-esteem. For the sake of Pete, I am a college graduate, a member of the Historical Honors Society, and former President the the ISU Socratic Club. Turned down via a letter two days after the interview? What has the world come to? Was I not "mechanically inclined" enough? Was my vocabulary too advanced for those interviewing me? Did I come across as too intellectual? I hope so. The thought of them rejecting me for any other reason is unbearable. Yes, I was too good for the position, too smart, talented, clean, etc.
How does one get rejected for such an easy job? A factory job... a factory job...
Peace out!
BCH

3 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
I wonder if they could tell that your heart wouldn't really be in something like that, regardless of your aptitude.
And I don't know if the mechanical aptitude factor was an issue or not, but don't be discouraged if it was. People have different histories and different strengths. If it were me interviewing there and they tested me on my mechanical aptitude, they'd conclude that my interview was a complete waste of their time, and they'd probably laugh me out of the office.
But this doesn't mean I wouldn't be a great candidate for something else out there. It's just a matter of searching for that better fit. (Easier said than done, I know.) And many whom those interviewers conclude would be a great fit for this factory job would be terrible at jobs that would fit you superbly.
Seriously, remember where your particular strengths and interests are, and don't be discouraged because you didn't get some job that wouldn't tap either of them.
And for what it's worth, I highly admire your willingness to work, for your family's sake, jobs that force you to check your soul at the door. I pray God opens up a door for you to get paid actually being you.
Love ya, man. Keep bloggin'
Dennis,
I hope you are able to find something that doesn't turn you into a walking corpse. Why did you apply for a factory job? Shane is right, you have to find something that will utilize your talents better.
I guess if you can't find anything like that, you'll just have to "suck it up" like so many other people who lived quiet lives of desperation in order to feed their family.
I hope you don't do that! God Bless.
Matt G.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home